February 27, 2012

A Pattern is Emerging

Ok, just go with me on this...

In January, after my CD21 progesterone check showed that the clomid had failed (yet again), I took prometrium to start a period. I had what appeared to be a period after 10 days of pills. A day or two after that period stopped, I started spotting - lightly at first, but it got heavier and heavier over 2 weeks, culminating in what appeared to be *another* period. After that, the spotting and bleeding stopped and life went back to normal. Then I started getting EWCM, lots of it. That lasted for 5 days or so and went away. Now, guess what: I'm spotting again. Very lightly for now, but its there.

So here's my theory:

Crazy as it sounds, I think I ovulated after taking those progesterone pills in January. I think I've heard of that happening to a girl on my forum. I can't explain the spotting , but it has happened before (I spotted during my first ovulation off BCPs last January). The spotting lasted about 12-14 days culminating in a very heavy flow for 3 or so days, like a period. So, if we count the first day of that heavy flow as CD1, the I started seeing EWCM on about CD18 through CD22ish with a HSO cervix from CD20-22. Over the weekend, that all went away and on Sunday (CD24?) I noticed the spotting was back.Even with all that evidence, I hesitate to make this assumption, but...it appears... I may have ovulated.... again.

...the fuck, man? A year without any kind of pattern, just two random ovulations and all of a sudden its like we're on a *schedule*?? Is it the clomid (which I haven't taken since late December)? It can't be the metformin because I've been on it for a year and only just started increasing my dose. Okay, nevermind how it happened - I will take what I can get.

I am a little concerned about the spotting since I have no clue why its happening. And since I wasn't temping or getting blood work, the only way I'll know for sure that I ovulated is if I get a period or a BFP in 2 weeks. But what to do about the spotting? I spotted lightly all through my first ovulatory cycle off BCPs last year. I didn't spot at all when I ovulated in October. I have plenty of progesterone pills, but should I take them without doctor's orders? I guess I could just call them and seek their advice... This is a situation I have never found myself in. And despite all my moaning and groaning and freaking out, I did manage to get some well timed sexy time in last week.

I'm going to follow The Corn fed Feminist's lead and not do anything different during this *assumed* 2ww. No sense making myself crazy when I don't even know anything for sure. So, do you think I should call Dr. B? Start taking progesterone? Just ride it out? Any input is welcome - thanks!

6 comments:

  1. I say ride it out. Get busy (like with tasks and stuff, but sexy time is good too) and do stuff to make the time go faster. Go to movies, work out, read, bake, whatever. Hopefully your body got it together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input :) I've been thinking about it all day and decided I will just ride it out. Whatever happens, happens - right?

      Delete
  2. I say just ride it out this time. I've heard that starting progesterone more than a few days after you ovulate doesn't do too much. I spot after I ovulate (starts around 4-5 days), too, but since tracking cycles I've started prog 2 days after I ovulate and I haven't spotted after ovulating since. It's something you can bring up with your doctor before your next cycle if you decide to start tracking. The timing is important, though, because I think if you take it too early it can prevent things from happening but take it too late and it isn't effective. I *THINK*. I'm not a doctor, it's just from my many many consultations with Dr. Google haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank you so much for that info, it really helped. I'm assuming I O'ed maybe Friday at the latest, so it would be too late at this point. I was already taking vitamin B-6 and that's supposed to help with luteal phase issues, so I'll just keep taking that and let what will be, be.

      Delete
  3. Your theory certainly makes sense to me. Oh the joys of ovulating :)

    As for the spotting, I don't know. I can't figure my own out though I do know that taking progesterone 2 days after I ovulate clears up any bleeding/spotting for the full 2ww (it's the bleeding before that that kills my chances). I will part from the others and say talk to your doctor. For me, I'd rather have him in the know and potentially change your Tx vs. just sit there and wonder. The worst he could say is don't change anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister convinced me to start temping again and see if it is generally higher than usual. I have *tons* of data for my usual "pre-O" temps, not much for post-O though LOL. I guess I'll just have to see...

      Delete