January 25, 2012

The Plan

So far, everything about Dr. B's office is wonderful. Wonderful staff, wonderful nurses, wonderful doctors. Our consult was pretty long - we were there from 1:45 to 3:30. I got to talk about the past year and how shabby it was. He agreed I needed to increase my metformin dose and doesn't see any reason why I shouldn't respond to clomid and a trigger shot. He wasn't at all concerned about the SA results, just suggested M take a multi-vitamin and an antioxidant formula to help with morphology. I told him I wanted to take a break and he said it was a good idea, he wants to see how my body reacts to the increased metformin anyway. I didn't get back on BCPs or spironolactone, but he did note on my chart that I respond incredibly well to spironolactone for my androgen issues. I guess it will be more helpful to be able to observe if the increased metformin is having any significant effect on me. Everyone in that office is so stupidly upbeat and positive, it almost made me feel guilty for having a pessimistic attitude. I stand by my argument that my ovaries don't know or care if I'm thinking positive or negative. I'm sorry, but I don't believe that my outlook has any kind of meta-physical impact on my MEDICAL CONDITION. Cancer patients don't wish away their tumors.

Anyway. We are taking a break and I'll work on upping my metformin in that time. When I'm ready to start treatments, I can call the office and let them know whether I have been cycling or not (haha, yeah right). If (when) I haven't, they'll have me go in to be monitored to see what my ovaries and uterus are doing. If they look like they're sitting pretty much dormant, we can start a cycle without using prometrium first. But if it looks like my lining is built up, they'll have me take prometrium first. First cycle is going to be very busy because I'm doing a clomid challenge with the option to do IUI if I'm responding AND an HSG and tons of blood work. Busy busy busy. But all of those procedures and tests and lab workups should provide us with a wealth of information.

On our way out, Dr. Bidwell said "See you in a few months, if you don't get pregnant on your own!" I hear of these mythical women, but from my experience they are the exception and I am the rule...

8 comments:

  1. Getting pregnant on your own is an urban myth, I'm pretty sure. Have you had an HSG before? I recommend pain meds beforehand. I won't tell your ovaries that you're feeling pessimistic about them. Nice that they gave you so much time at the consult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have completely psyched myself out about the HSG by reading the comments on the description of the procedure over at Stirrup Queens :( I'm going to take the strongest pain meds I can before I go in...

      Delete
  2. AHH I have seen a few people get pregnant on their own (during a break, during adoption proceedings, etc) since I started blogging, but it still seems soooooooooo unlikely I can't even believe it happened! Well, *they* pretty much still can't believe it happened!

    Anyway, a break will be good and well-deserved. *Maybe* the metformin will make you cycle! Who knows!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's alot of information to process!! Glad that you like the new doc, that is such a huge thing!!! Looking forward to seeing how things progress for you guys! And yes, I'm not sure that those mythical women exist anywhere... not in this community anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you liked your Doc, and the clinic, and a solid plan of action going forward. Those are all very important and very good steps. I thought I was going to be one of those natural cycle mythical creatures this month. Ha! How naive I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate! It's hard to imagine good news after so many disappointments. And the RE's office is totally overly positive aren't they? I guess it's good they're like that and hopefully they're right. :) (Hard to be positive and not get your hopes up at the same time, right? AH!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - I have to keep my expectations low to protect my delicate psyche ;-)

      Delete