January 19, 2012

Cabin Fever

"I got cabin fever it's burning in my brain
I've got cabin fever it's driving me insane
We got cabin fever, we're flipping our bandanas
Been stuck at sea so long we have simply gone bananas"
- Muppet Treasure Island

I had a really rough day at work today. We are so so busy with several different projects PLUS I hadn't reconciled my department credit card for the past 3 months. I worked through lunch and quite literally sat at my desk for 8 hours straight. I was feeling pretty crap-tastic by the time I left. All I wanted to do was go for a walk; stretch my legs, get a little exercise. But its stupidly cold here and snowing those tiny, mean little flakes that fall more horizontally than vertically so you have to blink a lot. And I don't want to walk indoors somewhere by myself. My sister and I used to have a great arrangement where we would go walking together and have a mini therapy session. She'd talk about whatever was stressing her, I'd gripe about the things bothering me - it was perfect. And then she moved across town. Its not nearly as easy to meet up now that we don't live down the street from each other. No one was available, so I just went home.

There comes a point in every winter season when I start to lose it just a little. I'm tired of waking up in the dark, going home in the dark. Tired of being cold, tired of even simple errands being complicated because of the weather. I'm tired of spending all my time indoors - I'm climbing the walls. I'm sick of winter and ready for spring! But spring, for this region, is still a good 2 months away... Then I get sad. sedentary. moody. And that's about where I'm at tonight.

Only two things are making me feel better: alcohol and Stoneybrook Wives.  My friend and I geek out over shared memories of reading the Babysitters' Club Books and now she has started humorously detailing her idea of what happened to the girls when they grew up. It forced me to crack a smile even in my bad mood. As for alcohol, well I need more of it, so I'll be signing off now. Anyone else going stir crazy from the winter doldrums??

5 comments:

  1. You know, I live 2 blocks from the big beautiful Pacific. No joke, only 2 blocks. I can walk 100 ft. and turn the corner and see it sprawling. And do you know how long it's been since I've gone out to see it? To take a nice walk along the beach with the pooch? To catch a sunset? Over two weeks. I'm disgusted with myself but I still can't seem to claw my way out of this black hole I'm in. Winter sucks, no matter where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'll over drink tonight if you will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, for me that winter sadness happens in Feb/early March, when I just CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. So... I'm doing okay, but I only have a few more weeks left in me. Also, this year it should coincide perfectly with the end of my next 2ww, so we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually make it to February before I start losing it, but I've been more sedentary this winter. I think that's why its setting in so early. I need to get my ass back to zumba!

      Delete