July 19, 2012

Drugs are Bad, Mmkay?

I finally heard back from my RE's office. I had to leave a voicemail this morning because I still hadn't gotten a response to my email. Their email system has been having problems, the nurse informs me. Well that's unhelpful.

I did manage to convey to the nurse that, while I understand the purpose of their using the trigger shot, I just went through surgery to try to never have to use one again. I said I'd really like to see if my body can do this with less meds and besides, this is all very expensive and I can't afford to keep doing it. I did agree to keep my u/s appointment for Monday so we can see if the clomid is affecting follicle growth. If this cycle goes well, though, I only want to do the baseline u/s for the next 2 cycles. If it looks like I'm ovulating, but am still not pregnant in 3 months, I will be willing to talk about increasing meds and monitoring.

Deep, cleansing breaths. I can't believe I'm already getting bent out of shape. God these meds *suck*. I always feel like I'm on the defensive when I talk to my RE's office and that really hinders my verbal communication abilities. I feel like I come off as a whiny 4-year-old instead of an intelligent 28-year-old who has well developed opinions about her fertility treatment options...

I'm exhausted now. Between my workout and that phone convo (and the hot-flashes waking me up 10 times last night...) I'm wiped. How am I going to get through this cycle without going crazy? And then, how will I get through the next and the next? (Because I refuse to believe I will be so lucky as to get pregnant "quickly"). For now, I can go lose myself in Big Brother gossip, at least.

10 comments:

  1. The hot flashes are the worst. Well that and the uncontrollable emotions. I hope the ultrasound shows a big, fat beautiful follicle. And, you never know, this could be your cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying hard not to think about what to "expect" at this ultrasound. I don't want to be disappointed. What will be, will be I guess.

      Delete
  2. Best of luck! Have you ever though of Femara instead of Clomid? I don't like the idea of clomid because it can thin the uterine lining, while femara does not.

    Check this thread out, it may be useful.

    http://www.inciid.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31351

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! If 3 clomid cycles fail to give us the results we are looking for, I'm officially switching to Femara. Clomid and I have such a checkered history together...

      Delete
  3. Clomid is satan's spawn. Or at least it turned me into one of his children. That stuff is hard.

    I'm glad you were able to convey what you wanted for this cycle. I'm sorry it was tough and left you with bad feelings, but this is your body and you are the only one that cares that it accomplishes what you wish it to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shouldn't be so exhausting talking to my RE's office, but it is. I guess because I can't help but be emotional about it all. At least I got what I wanted - come on body, don't prove me wrong!

      Delete
  4. Clomid is a real twat. Fact. If you are only feeling like a whiney four year old and not actually hurling yourself onto the ground and having an all out tantrum, you are ahead in the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, no I didn't quite throw myself on the ground, so that's good XD

      Delete
  5. I also asked my RE if I could try to not use the trigger shot. I ended up buying it anyway because I had to order it through the mail and couldn't do it last minute, but I still wanted to try to do the cycle with the fewest meds possible and wait as long as I could for a positive OPK. The RE gave me the deadline for a positive OPK, and told me if I didn't have one by that day then I should trigger (I got the positive and didn't end up using the shot that cycle). Maybe your RE can do something like that with you? Although it doesn't really help with the expense, it does help with the amount of meds in your system. My completely unscientific theory was that triggering "early" was making my eggs come out half baked, so I wanted to give them as much time as possible.

    I also used Femara instead of Clomid. I had a few hot flashes, nothing serious, and the first cycle on Femara I got super constipated / gassy (the subsequent 2 cycles I didn't have that issue, maybe my body got used to it). I've heard Femara has fewer side effects than Clomid but most people don't start with it because it isn't officially approved for fertility treatments. IDK. I recommend it if you are really struggling with Clomid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering about using OPKs. I know a lot of people drive themselves crazy trying to interpret them. Do you think temping is enough? Or should I buy OPKs?

      Delete