May 02, 2012

Cooler Head Prevails

Sorry for the outburst yesterday. I realize it was a lot of screaming over something that is not a very big deal. Seven days, I mean it doesn't make *that* big of a difference.

I feel like a character in a sitcom who is trying to remain calm while a bunch of stuff goes wrong around them. And with each new disaster they smile, take a deep breath, and insist everything is going to be fine. Until that final little trivial thing goes wrong and they *snap* and start freaking out about everything. That's me. All the time. Because the disasters have been heaping up for a long time. So now each new problem is the last straw for me - over and over and over.

My surgery is scheduled. May 17th, 2:45pm. Now that we have an extra week for prep, I have a pre-op appointment and a prescription for birth control. This does not make me feel any better about the delay, but I suppose it is a consolation prize of sorts. My post-op appointment is two days before a wedding in which I am the matron of honor...sure hope there aren't any serious complications...

I did learn a little more about the surgery-with-the-worst-name-ever: ovarian drilling is performed on both ovaries (I had wondered if it would be one or the other), the surgery takes about an hour, and I have to go to the main house of the hospital for it (I had assumed they could do it in the office because they are outfitted for IVF egg retrieval, which is a kind of surgery, really).

I'm refraining from making sarcastic, depressing status updates on Facebook about all this. I haven't told anyone but family, my close co-workers, and two friends about the surgery. I mean really, who *wants* to talk about a procedure called "ovarian drilling". It sounds like a medieval form of torture.

I will now entertain suggestions for what to do with myself while I recuperate. I will probably be sleeping a lot, but I need some tv shows (available for online viewing preferably), movies, and book suggestions. I have a Nook (new from my birthday in March!), but I am not a book purchaser, more of a book borrower. I've blown through all the books I already requested from the library, so I need new ideas. And don't say "The Hunger Games" because the wait list is about a year long. I'd really like to start a new crochet projects, but I'm waiting to start something for J's baby (I am waiting until the "age of viability" to buy/make anything in deference to my sister's wishes).

Speaking of the baby, did I mention IT'S A BOY! J went in for a quick u/s before we went out of town this past weekend, and they just happened to notice the baby's legs splayed wide open and a very obvious penis just hanging out there. We were hoping for a girl, but honestly, anything healthy will make us all deliriously happy. At least someone in my family is successfully carrying on our genes...

12 comments:

  1. Do you use bookmooch? We love it.

    Also, is this procedure done laparoscopically? I had one for endo a little over a year ago, and there was more recovery than I anticipated. (Actually there was more surgery than I anticipated, so that might be the cause...but anyway.) I hope you're feeling better after a day or two, but I would be prepared to take it really easy for up to a week, just in case.

    Glad to hear you're feeling better about things today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just googled Bookmooch - awesome! I may have to try it :-) And yes, the surgery is laparoscopic, so I'm hopeful I won't be down for long, but who knows.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love pop culture! I'll bite. So, Downton Abbey was fabulous. I also really liked the BBC's Sherlock series. It is available on Netflix. Also on Netflix? Friday Night Lights. I think a lot of people disregard it because it is "about football", but it really is more than that. Super good. I would always advocate for Battlestar Gallactica, Lost, or Game of Thrones, but those are definitely for the SciFi/Fantasy lovers of the world. And, all the rage, Mad Men, but I would have a hard time watching endless episodes of Mad Men. Too much melancholy.

    As for books, well Fifty Shades of Grey is ridiculous. Frankly, I would save it for when you are ovulating. There is a lot of steamy sex. I recently read Buddha in the Attic and really love it. I also love The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, a piece of nonfiction. A Discovery of Witches came out about 18 months ago and I thought it was pretty great. It is going to be a trilogy. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out those books and the Sherlock series, thanks! I *loved* Downton Abbey and can't wait for the next season. I know several people who watched Friday Night Lights when it was on, so I think I'll give it a shot.

      Delete
  3. I've heard Downtown Abbey is good but I haven't tried it yet. I recently got into "Smash" and "Once Upon a Time". I watch those on Hulu plus though. I just started a new book series the first one is called "Delirium" and the second is "Pandamonium" and so far I'm enjoying it.

    What kind of books do you usually read? I am a huge reader so I have a long list for you but it helps if I know what you are into lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I ate up Downton Abbey with a spoon, I could probably watch both seasons again and still be enthralled. I'll check out those books you suggested. I'm kind of all over the place with reading, except for sci-fi/fantasy. But I love chick lit (especially british chick lit), comedies, young adult, classics, etc.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad the date is set and you have something concrete in your schedule. I know that it still isn't what you wanted- but at least it is done. We've been watching Jericho on Netfix and though I'm not very into the-end-of-the-world type shows, it's quite good and there are two full seasons that you won't nearly be able to get through. Then, there are always the Housewives of Orange County. I'm so not above trashy reality TV :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I wish Big Brother was on while I'm recouping - that would take up *ALL* my time, LOL. It is one of my few reality guilty pleasures.

      Delete
  5. I'm also going to suggest "Downton Abbey." It started slow for me and I didn't understand the hype, but then I got SO hooked and blew through it SOO quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know season one is on Netflix, but is season two? I've watched both, but I love it so I could watch the whole thing again really.

      Delete
    2. Totally agree with the Downton Abbey craze. Season one is on Netflix and Redbox, but I haven't seen Season 2 out yet. It will probably come out over the summer, as it starts up agin in September in England and January in the US.

      Delete
  6. Ovarian Drilling: Worst-name-ever. Yes!

    ReplyDelete